If you own an iron, then almost always you will need an best ironing board. Some people still use a cloth on top of a table, but most consumers, opt for the safer and sensible option of a good quality ironing board. There are normal stand alone boards, but also table top board. In this article we look at the best ironing board, that are currently available in the US, UK market.
Before you make any decision, you need to know which type of iron you have?
- 1 What Type of Iron do You Have?
- 2 Ironing Boards Explained
- 3 Top 8 Best Ironing Board Comparation
- 3.1 1. Household Essentials 971840-1 Wide Top 4-Leg Mega Ironing Board
- 3.2 2. Brabantia Ironing Board with Solid Steam Iron Rest
- 3.3 3. Reliable The Board 100IB Ironing Board
- 3.4 4. Minky Ergo Ironing Board, 15-Inch Surface
- 3.5 5. Brabantia Ironing Board with Steam Iron Rest
- 3.6 6. Brabantia Steam Generator Ironing Board, Size C
- 3.7 7. Honey-Can-Do BRD-01435 Collapsible Tabletop Ironing Board
- 3.8 8. Homz T-Leg Adjustable Height Foam Pad Ironing Board
- 4 Buyer Guide an Ironing Board?
- 5 Conclusion
What Type of Iron do You Have?
First of all, there are two main types as shown below:
these irons are different sizes and more importantly different weights. Should you own a steam generator iron, then you will need a different type of ironing board. It is larger in terms of width, and also has a different end piece. If in doubt. most people will own a standard steam iron.
Ironing Boards Explained
The simple task of buying an iron board sounds very easy. It should be of course, but like many things in life, perhaps not as easy as it seems. Hopefully we can clear that up for you with some useful basic information.
It is worth noting before we go any further that these boards come in different sizes, shapes and prices. Some people like to sit down to iron, others prefer to stand. In addition to that, some people are short and some people are tall, so is the board adjustable for all those heights?
Where are you going to store your ironing board? Do you need a spot to set your iron on when not in use? Below we try to answer all of those important questions.
Ironing Board Sizes
Manufacturers of these make them in five different sizes. These are referred to as standard sizes, however you will also find sizes slightly different to these as well. There is no clear designed standard as manufacturers often change the size option. The best seller for example is 122 x 38 cm. The guide below is a useful general guideline. Always check the exact size though before ordering.
110 x 30
43 x 12
124 x 38
48.8 x 15
124 x 45
48.8 x 17.7
135 x 45
53 x 17.7
135 x 49
53 x 19.3
Below I have completed a full ironing board buying guide. That will help you to pick the best ironing board for your needs. I also appreciate that some readers will be pushed for time. To help save you time, I have made the top 3 recommendations just below.
You can go with one of those, or continue reading, to find out more information.
Any of these sizes will be able to handle a normal steam iron. The reason you may want a smaller board would be, if you are stuck for storage space. Some users like the larger boards for ironing sheets, or larger items. (Size C and above) It really is a matter of personal preference.
Believe me there are lots of choices. The most popular are: Household Essentials Brabantia, Minky, Philips, Leifheit, Lakeland, Addis, MSV, Multiware, AllRight, and Russell Hobbs.
Quality of Your Best Ironing Board
You can buy these from as little as $22, and all the way up to $250. Crazy right? The price difference happens for a number of reasons. I have shown the main reasons below:
- Quality – You get what you are prepared to pay for. Well made boards that will last a lifetime will cost more than a flimsy board, that will break after a short period of time
- General Construction – Made from good quality materials, strong joints for adjustments and stability, lightweight for easy of portability and good quality covers.
- Brand – You will always pay more for a better brand of board. They will also give you more extensive guarantees and better customer service.
Adjusting the Height of Your Best Ironing Board
Almost every single board will have some element of height adjustment. The legs normally fold under the board for easy storage, and usually click into place to keep them from inadvertently falling out.
When putting the board up, the height adjustment is made by clicking the movable leg into a slot. There are a number of slots. You simply pick the right one to suit your own height. For taller people they will want a higher board, so make sure that the height you need, is provided by the board that you buy.
Nose of Your Best Ironing Board
As I prefer to call it, the pointy bit. It is where most people iron the fiddly bits. They come in different shapes such as rounded, tapered or blunt. They all work fine. Just be aware which type you have if you are buying a new cover.
Ironing Board Covers
This part often gets confusing. Best ironing board will always come with a cover of some kind. A good board will last for years, but covers usually require replacement every 2-3 years. Many people also decide to buy a cover to upgrade the quality, and to make ironing easier. Typically these will be non-slip covers.
There are basically three types padded, metallic or mesh styles.
The most common are the softly padded. They essentially take the hardness out of the main board underneath. That makes ironing a lot easier. The problem with these is they they go out of shape, especially if the padding is too thin. A good padding thickness should be around 6 mm thick.
They can also be metallic in nature. They are made from fabric with metal woven in (usually copper) Those help reflect the heat of the iron back into the fabric, and as such also speed up the ironing time.
The mesh style of cover allows steam to pass through which helps speed up the ironing time.
Appearance – Some people also like to buy a cover with a nice pattern. Others prefer a simple plain cover.
Important Note: When buying a cover, make sure it fits your board by measuring the length and breadth of your board. Many covers are sold as one fits all. They are then attached to the board using a drawstring that gets tightened underneath the board.
Top 8 Best Ironing Board Comparation
Our view: Best OSU Tablets Reviews
“OSU tablet, also known as a digital tablet, graphic pad or a digitizing tablet, is an input device that acts as an alternative for a mouse or a point ball and can be used in conjunction with these devices or any other pointing device.”
We start off with the cheapest ironing board on our list – the Household Essentials Fibertech Mega Pressing Station. It costs around $50 to $60 at the time of writing, less than half than what you would pay for the top brands like Reliable and Rowenta. The ironing surface for this model measures 18″ x 49″.
We like it because it has a detachable sleeve board which is not found on most other models. For some people, it would come in handy when ironing small areas. The other unique aspect of this best ironing board by Household Essentials is the biodegradable top. Made of natural plant fibers, it not only breaks down quickly when it is time for disposal but it is also fire-retardant and can withstand high temperature levels. The thickness of the fiber pad is 6 mm while the cover is made of 100% cotton.
Supported by 4 round metal legs (32 mm), it also has a lock to keep them in place during storage. You can adjust the height of the board with a lever and the highest setting is about 38″ from the floor. The unit weighs about 16 lbs.
While this is the cheapest ironing board among the few here, there are also quite a few complaints that it is not durable. Depending on how much you are willing to invest in an ironing board, this one works well when new but be prepared to replace it down the road.
This best ironing board by Brabantia Brabantia Solid Steam Iron Rest, Size C is more than double the price of the Household Essentials board above. A $100 to $150 price range unit, this one measures about 18″ x 48″. While similar in size to the one above, it is slighly heavier though, weighing about 19 lbs.
This board has a 4-leg frame with a 25 mm diamteter steel tube. It also has a tranport lock for storage and a non-slip cap for the legs. The height is adjustable with the lowest setting at around 30″ and the highest at 38″. The underlay is made of foam/viscose while the cover is 100% cotton.
There is also a narrower version of this model with a surface measurement of 15″ x 48″. The leg frame is also thinner (22 mm) but it costs about $20 cheaper.
You pay so much for the Brabantia Solid Steam ironing board because it is well-made. Compliments for this model from buyers are aplenty – it doesn’t wobble, it can withstand the pressure you put on it and it is large. The downside is, of course, the price, and it could be a little too heavy for some.
The best ironing board by Reliable 100IB is in the same price range as the Brabantia Solid Steam, and at the time of this post, the price differential between the two is less than $10.
Compared to the 4-leg frame of the two boards above, the 100IB has a single wishbone leg to reduce wobbling with a high coat white finish for style. It has a tube frame construction with a glavanised metal mesh screen. Similar in size to the Brabantia and Household Essentials units, it has an ironing surface of 18.9″ x 47.25″ with a height adjustment ranging from 30″ to 38″.
The padding used is 500 g felt padding with a cotton / polyester blend cover. Weighing more about 16 lbs, it is strong enough to accommodate an ironing station on the iron tray which is riveted to the board for security. If you have a top end Rowenta iron which can be fairly heavy, you certainly need a best ironing board that can support the weight of the appliance.
A similar model to this one is the Reliable 200IB. This costs about $40 more but the C60 has double wishbone legs for added stability and a laundry rack.
Expensive but solid is how most buyers described the Reliable 100IB The Board. It may be overpriced for some but the problem is there are not many in-between choices between the cheapest and most expensive ironing boards out there. Rarely would you find a board of this size in the $70 to $90 range that you have little choice but to spend more for a well-built unit.
For a larger unit, you can get a Rowenta ironing board. The Rowenta Pro Compact Professional is in the $150 to $200 range but it has a 18″ x 54″ surface with a rack for your steam station. It should be a good fit for the Rowenta DG8430 Pro Precision Station.
This is the best selling board in the UK market at the moment. The buyer satisfaction rating has stayed consistent at around 4.1 out of 5 stars. It also costs under $45 and that is around the average price, for a good quality board.
- Prozone Cover: This Minky Ergo Ironing Board features a 100% cotton prozone cover, a heat reflective, metallic coating that speeds up the ironing process. Creases remove quicker and easier than before for much faster results.
- ErgoRest: The end of the ironing board features an Ergo Rest, an iron holding area that has been specially designed to avoid unnecessary arm and shoulder strain. The rest follows the natural movement of the arm and is suitable for right and left-handed users.
- Flex Guide: Don’t let your iron cord get all tangled up while ironing. Minky’s flex guide can clip the iron cord anywhere on the board to prevent snagging and tangling.
- 5 Year Guarantee: In case of any damage, Minky Ergo Ironing Board comes with a 5-year guarantee for added peace of mind.
- The height of the ironing board can be easily adjusted from 0 to 92cm.
- Minky offers two colour choices for their Ergo Ironing Board – blue or green.
- The underlay of the cover is made from soft felt to give a smoother ironing experience.
- The two colour options may not be enough for people who prefer more style variety but offer the most popular colour choices that look best with the design of the cover.
- Very tall people may find the maximum height too low, but at 92cm, it is sure to work for the majority of people.
The buyer satisfaction rating has stayed consistent at around 4.5 out of 5 stars. It also costs just over $70 and that is around the average price, for a high quality board.
You can get it in either cotton flower, ice water, leaf clover, purple anemone, swirl, moving circles, pink santini, ecru or peaks pattern covers.
- Cord Binder: The useful cord binder keeps your iron’s cord from tangling or snagging when in use. The cord can be easily clipped in place to prevent any damage.
- Safety Locks: Like the previous listing, this Brabantia ironing board also features an inbuilt child safety lock that prevents the board from collapsing accidentally, while the transport lock keeps the board folded when in transport or storage.
- Non-Slip Feet: This Brabantia ironing board features non-slip feet that keep the board stable and prevents it from moving around during ironing, which can lead to wear and tear.
- 10 Year Guarantee: The 10-year guarantee provides assurance of the high-quality of this ironing board that is sure to last many years.
- The wide surface makes it very easy to iron larger clothes items without needing to move them around.
- The height can be adjusted between 77 and 96cm, perfect for providing the optimal ironing height for most people.
- The cover’s stretch system keeps the surface very taut, so the ironing experience is very smooth and easy.
- With the maximum height at 96cm, very tall individuals may have to bend to use this board, though it is ideal for the majority people.
- The various colour designs available could make it difficult to choose just one but definitely provides great options.
This looks similar to the one above and is made by the same brand. The buyer satisfaction rating is very high at 4.6 out of 5 stars. It is one of the most expensive at around $105, but a highly popular choice.
It is available with a whole range of patterned colours. It has a wide work surface, adjustable height settings and a full range of safety features.
- Iron Rest: The robust iron rest can hold up to 7kg in weight and is suitable for both right and left-handed users.
- Suitable For Steam Generator Irons: Many ironing boards cannot hold steam generator irons due to their weight, but this Brabantia ironing board is designed for just that.-
- Safety Locks: Like the other Brabantia ironing boards, this board features a safety lock to prevent accidental collapsing and a transport lock to keep the board folded when carried or in storage.
- 10 Year Guarantee: The 10-year guarantee is a mark that this durable ironing board will last many years without issue.
- The wide surface speeds up the ironing process as it eliminates the constant re-adjusting and shuffling of clothes.
- The non-slip locks make this great for both hard and carpeted floors and to prevent movement while ironing.
- The many colour options provide an excellent choice to suit a wide range of tastes.
- Again, the 96cm maximum height could be too short for very tall individuals but is perfect for the majority of the population.
- The robust iron rest may seem unnecessary if a steam generator iron isn’t used but it is also a suitable holder for regular irons with the added option of holding a heavier iron.
This cute ironing board from Honey-Can-Do will take the drudgery out of ironing.
It comes with a beautiful aqua blue cover and foam padding. This board also has a retractable iron rest.
This ironing board folds completely flat when you are done with ironing, making it easy to store.
The iron rest is made of metal, supporting your hot iron without any danger of scorching. Honey-Can-Do gives a limited lifetime warranty for this high-quality product.
At 6.1 inches high, 32 inches long and 12 inches wide, this best ironing board by Honey-Can-Do gives you a comfortable ironing surface. It weighs only 4.8 pounds, making it easy to move around the house.
- The soft foam pad and cover make ironing easier.
- The ironing board is suitable for sewing and craft projects.
- The height of the board is comfortable for most people.
- The board comes with a solid iron holder.
- The price is very reasonable.
- There is no mechanism to lock the legs in place during storage.
- The board’s interior is made of plywood, which means it is not as durable as a metallic board.
- You should be careful when putting the ironing board down to avoid breaking the feeble-looking fiberboard
This best ironing board from Homz guarantees you a stress-free ironing experience.
The perforated ironing surface is ideal for use with steam irons. A foam pad covered with a 100% cotton cover lies on top of this metal surface. The white T-shaped legs complement the thick green cover.
This board has a patented leg lock system for holding the legs in place during storage and travel. The T-leg design gives stability and rigidity to the board when in use.
This product from Homz is quite light, weighing only 9.9 pounds. It is 53.9 inches long and 14.4 inches wide. It stands at the height of 36.5 inches when unfolded.
- There is no iron stand. (Many people prefer boards without iron stands).
- The price is very reasonable.
- The thin cover allows for penetration of steam.
- The leg lock holds the legs firmly in place.
- This ironing board is light and portable.
- The ironing board cover and pad are thin.
- The legs are not properly centered, making the board unstable.
- When the board gets hot, it emits a chemical smell that gets into the clothes
Buyer Guide an Ironing Board?
1. Is your best ironing board portable or built in?
There are two types of sizes that are available in the portable ironing board.
- Stand alone
One of the biggest advantages of purchasing a portable iron board is that you can move it from one room to another. Whereas, the built in iron boards are installed in a wall cabinet or in a drawer. These boards are installed by professional installers. For the built in iron boards, kits are available. Though it isn’t portable but, it saves a lot of space.
2. Size of your best ironing board
The second most important thing that is to be considered is the size of your best ironing board. The wider the board, the more effective it is. A normal board is at least 4 feet long. So, before selecting a size be sure about your requirement.
3. Height of the board
In case of a built in board, the height of the board should be set up at a hip level. For those who aren’t stagnant i.e. they keep on sitting and standing while ironing, portable board is a much better option
4. Weight of the board
The old ironing boards were always made up of wood. This used to make the board quite heavy and was not an ideal thing for ironing. The current boards are made of metal. These boards are extremely reliable and its mesh top easily allows the steam to go by and evaporate. The metal is quite light in weight and is very simple to both set up as well as fold. With the light weight metal, one can easily move the board from one place to another
5. Iron Board Sturdiness
It is a major requirement to have the iron board made up of light metal but at the same point of time, the frame should be sturdy enough so that it doesn’t break easily. It is paramount that the board should be stable and should not lead to any sorts of accidents.
6. Ironing Board Cover
It would be great if your iron board cover is nonstick as it would keep your clothes in a good condition. Covers need to be smooth enough so that the clothes can be ironed easily. The best covers for the boards are the Teflon coated cotton covers.
There are certain extra features that one can look for while purchasing an iron board. Some of these include-
- Iron rest
- Sleeve attachment
- Hanging Rack
- Storage Organizer
Generally, the more expensive the board, the more solid and sturdy is its construction. However, the risk lies in its durability. Even the best ironing board can break within a short period of time as some buyer reviews have shown. But such complaints are far fewer for the top end models than the cheaper units and hence, it is a risk worth taking for a better built ironing board that doesn’t wobble as much or sag under pressure. If you have the best steam iron but a lousy board, you would be doing yourself a disservice.
Also, if you are using a professional ironing system, then be aware that you might also need to use a different kind of ironing board to go with your iron. In this case, you would need a vacuum ironing board to remove steam with a built-in heating element.