Everybody needs to sleep. It’s that time when our body relaxes itself to prepare for the next day – and wouldn’t you want to do it right? We need to have at least 8 hours of sleep each day to refresh our minds.
When you have a good, sound sleep, the next day, you are rejuvenated and ready for the day’s tasks. For a good sleep, you need a comfortable, supportive mattress on your bed. If you are overweight or obese, you need to be cautious and informed before you buy.
Here in this guide, we have tried to present you an unbiased report on the factors you should consider while purchasing a mattress online. We have analyzed various important aspects and listed the best mattresses available online on the basis of their features, reviews, and purchase price. Go through this guide and product description, and choose a perfect mattress for your needs. To know which one’s the best, we have weighed the products on various metrics to determine their worth. The following gives you an idea why the products should form part of your considerations.
Top 5 Quick Comparison
The Mattress Guide For Heavy People
Check The Mattress
First of all, look at the product you are going to buy. It should be ideal for your weight, for example, the bariatic mattress reviewed below is specifically stated to accommodate 300-400 lbs. Your purchase also needs to be of durable quality, comfortable, and supportive. Otherwise, you have to compromise with your sleep, and this will lead to serious health disorders. Moreover, this sleep deprivation can result in decreased concentration that will seriously affect your work.
The best selling mattress at an online store is a wise option to go for. It is the advisable way to proceed because there must be good reasons that the product earned the “Best Selling” tag. But, it’s possible that in spite of being the best seller, it does not meet your expectations or specific requirements. Therefore this leads back to the point mentioned above about checking the description properly.
Top ratings tell us that the other customers who previously purchased are more than satisfied with the mattress. It met their expectations, and they are sleeping better than ever before. Top ratings often turn into best sellers, so they kind of go hand in hand, but, it’s still important to buy the right product for you, not just what everybody else has opted for. Therefore, even if it’s not a top rated or best seller, that doesn’t mean it is not suffice for your requirements.
In the end, it all depends upon your budget. You may not be ready to spend your hard earned money because the seller claims it to be the best mattress online. Extensive research is necessary before zeroing on the one you wish to buy.
The ideal thickness of a mattress for heavy people or overweight couples should be at least 10”. This 10’’ thickness can be split into at least two or more layers. First, the support layer of high density foam which acts as the base, or platform. The optimum thickness should be a minimum of 5’’. Overweight people exert more pressure and therefore, the support layer should be able to handle this pressure right down at the bottom. Secondly, the comfort layer which is the top-most, and again the thicker the better. It can be made of any material, usually memory foam or latex. When you have a strong support beneath, the comfort layer should help cradle, comfort, and support you in having a good, sound sleep.
Firmness has three levels – soft, medium, and firm. For overweight people and sharing couples, we suggest medium or medium-firm support because this firmness level will provide strong support for the weight exerted. Additionally, it will uphold the comfort level resulting in a good sleep.
A firm support is the suggested mattress for back problems such as slip-disk or lower back pain. Too firm for the obese may eventually cause pain in the joints. On the other hand, soft would sink too much for obese people and thereby, disturb their posture. It will make you uncomfortable and hence, it is not advisable.
Edge support ensures that the edges do not collapse at the ends or sides. With regular usage, it’s almost inevitable that someday you sit on the edge in the morning and it collapses unexpectedly. It will surely ruin your morning. Therefore, keep this factor in mind while choosing a mattress.
A mattress that provides good ventilation is extremely desirable for overweight people or heavy couples sharing a bed. No matter your climate, it’s common for obese people to become hotter than others at night. A mattress that does not provide ventilation does not dissipate heat produced. A breathable mattress will absorb the heat and dissipate accordingly thus helping you stay cool.
Type Of Mattress
The type of mattress you choose is important. Here is a look at the different types so you can learn what is best for you.
- Memory Foam – There are different kinds of mattresses available online. The memory foam mattress is a wise option for heavy people as it provides a good cradling support which molds around the contours of your body. If purchasing a memory foam, make sure it is gel, as this type keeps you cool at night unlike traditional viscoelastic which can sleep hot. Another bonus of gel over traditional viscoelastic is the increased response time. Essentially this means that when changing position, the gel comfort layered surface will flatten out quicker than viscoelastic surfaces, thus making changing sleeping positions easier throughout the night.
- Latex – Latex mattresses are known for their durability and good ventilation. These two attributes are a necessity for overweight people. You would not like your mattress to collapse within just a few years of purchasing it. Moreover, good cooling ensures you don’t feel restless while sleeping. Additionally, the springy nature of latex makes moving around and changing position quite easy for those who would normally find it difficult.
- Innerspring – An innerspring mattress is another feasible option for heavy people. The innerspring can be made of various different coil arrangements. Moreover, it provides good edge support and good ventilation too. If buying for sharing couples, the pocket spring is not a bad choice considering the minimal motion isolation from partner to partner based on the individually encased and functioning coils. However, there are issues with these mattresses which obese people need to consider. They are not as durable as the above, and with time, they may tend to produce noise when used frequently.
Any overweight people would most likely require something known as a bariatric mattress. However, not every mattress for overweight people is known as bariatric. Some are simply made thicker, or more durable and are tailored for the overweight, as opposed to medically researched and more expensive type known as bariatric which is more suited for the extremely obese. Our reviews below consists of a mixture of the two.
Review Of Top Mattresses For Heavy People
This 12’’ from Resort Sleep has a medium-plush to medium-firm support due to the combination of varying layers and materials. The 8.5” thick support base and 2.5” Airflow visco foam provides the desired cushiness while the 1” inch cooling gel memory foam ensures that proper ventilation is available all night. The benefit of this mattress is that it has a strong support base which is capable of taking weights over upto 400 lbs. It will at the same time aid in relieving pressure points and provide relief to your joints like shoulders, elbows, knees, or the hip joint. Moreover, it has 20 years warranty and therefore, it is a decent buy. The company also offers a memory foam pillow along with this product. You will love a number of things about the Resort Sleep:
- First of all is the level of support; it is completely suitable for obese people whilst also for those who are not too.
- The optimum thickness of gel foam and cushioning ensures that your comfort and ventilation is not compromised.
- The soft stretch knit cover is of a supreme feel and looks great too.
These amazing benefits at a reasonable price make this my first preference and possibly the best mattress for heavy people out of the selected top 5.
Sleep Innovations have surely invented a good mattress for overweight people. This medium-firm product has three layers of construction.
- The lowermost is the 7” support layer that provides more than adequate suitable support.
- Middle layer comprises of 2.5” Ultra Ventilated Air Channel foam that is required for proper ventilation.
- The topmost Cool Plush Luxury is made of 2.5” cooling gel foam.
The Skylar is enveloped in a quilted knit cover with breathable side panels which claims to aid uninterrupted, refreshing sleep. Coupled with 20 years warranty, this is certainly worth buying for heavy people, or for those with an average to bigger body. Sleep Innovations has tried to focus on the breathable factor heavily in this product to ensure no more hot sleepless nights. Obviously, firm support is necessary but, ventilation is an important aspect too. These two together ensures that you sleep well after a hectic day. Buyers would like the Skylar for firm support, cushiness, reasonable price, and ventilation. Moreover, it is available in four sizes- Full, Twin, Queen, and King size.
If you’re struggling to find a mattress for overweight people, your search ends here. It is specifically made for those weighing 300-400 pounds. The 5” of resilient, durable and hypoallergenic Talalay latex is used as a comfort layer for proper cushioning and support. Beneath is a 5” inch High Resilient Base which makes sure that the bariatric mattress can endure the weight of the person.
- It is available in most of the common mattress sizes such as Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King and Cali King.
- It comes with a 10 year warranty. Moreover, the company representative will call you before customizing your Comfort Max 400 Overweight Bariatric Mattress.
- Your weight will be recorded so that it is built in accordance with the desired firmness and cushioning.
Some low quality manufacturers make false claims of providing required firmness support along with the desired comfort. This one duly delivers what it claims. High resilience base foam provides the much needed support for the durability and the edge support which some others have trouble comparing to.
This gel mattress has some extra layers for additional comfort, extra ventilation, and a much-required firm support.
- It comes with 1.25” topmost layer of quilted foam and stretch knit fabric. This layer provides cushiony comfort and at the same time, a beautiful look.
- The next layer is 2” of sculpted gel memory foam. It is necessary for the ventilation, and this is absolutely the right choice for the purpose of keeping ones body temperature cool throughout the night.
- Another 1.75” gel foam layer for extra comfort and bounce is applied next.
- There is 7” high-density base support for balanced firmness and durability.
The Serenia has the layering in the right combination, and the extra 1.75” gel enhances the comfort level. It is an ideal choice for overweight people who want a medium firmness supporting their weight and gel layering for comfort and relaxation. Sculpted gel memory foam provides ventilation necessary for enhancing comfort levels. The top layer of quilted foam is presentable and at the same time, provides the relaxation required for a good and sound sleep. You can buy this in four sizes being Twin, Full, Queen, and King.
The top most layer of this green tea mattress indeed has the aroma of its filling. It will surely provide a pleasant smell when you sleep on this surface and claims to soothe your senses.
- The top layer is 3” green tea memory foam for hypoallergenic, eco friendly purposes and comfort combined with a pleasant odor.
- Next, comes the 2” plush foam along with 2” double waved foam for extra comfort and desired ventilation respectively.
- The last layer, 3” waved basis foam is ideal for balanced support for overweight people.
The company claims their product will provide comfort, ventilation, and durability; all at a very reasonable price. It provides a 10-year warranty for any manufacturing defects. It is suitable for a person weighing 400 pounds and is appropriate for providing relief from back pain and other posture-related problems.
So, here we have described the factors you should analyze before making a purchase. When you are clear with your requirements, you can make a wise decision. But, in the end, affordability and durability also matter. Make sure the product is within your budget. Moreover, heavy people ought to purchase mattresses that can provide required support without compromising on the comfort and ventilation levels. Most of the mattresses focus on firmness, comfort, and ventilation. But, you must realize that edge support is equally important in the long run. You would not like your mattress to sag down on the edges. The above-listed mattresses deal with all the factors listed according to the needs of slightly larger or obese people. A decent, reasonable mattress can surely help you with your health problems like a backache, joint pains, sore shoulders, and at the same time bring back your deprived sleep rejuvenating your body for the day ahead.